JRuby + DB2 + xQuery == Bug?

Update: Follow up link to this issue on JRuby’s Jira, here

As I told in my last post, it was time to give JRuby a serious try. So I took one of our rails projects at work and decided to migrate it to JRuby and see what happens.

We heavily use the XML capabilities of DB2 and this was a huge problem. Every query would work just fine through the activerecord-jdbc-adapter - part of the JRuby Extras . But every Xquery would gracefully fail!

After some debugging I got stuck and decided to get JRuby and activerecord-jdbc-adapter’s source to see what was happening.

As I could see, it has a bug -in my opinion - at the java part of the code. The jdbc-adapter is a bridge to allow Active Record to talk with databases through native JDBC drivers, so it’s normal that we do have a java part here. At this point, what the code does is to inspect the sql statement sent from ruby and decide if it’s a select, update or insert.

I fixed the problem and submitted a patch to rubyforge. I’m not sure if it’s the best solution or not, but now I got the xQueries working just fine.

I’d love to hear from people with similar environments whether this patch works for you or not. I’m sure I didn’t try every possibility.

If you wanna try it, just drop me a message (e-mail in the About page) and I can send the pre-compiled jar file - for activerecord-jdbc-0.8

You can also just check out the code and compile yourself. ;)

Comments